SD5918 : Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Botany Bay

near to Chorley, Lancashire, Great Britain

Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Botany Bay
Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Botany Bay
The Leeds & Liverpool Canal between Wigan Top Lock and Johnson's Hillock Locks was originally the southern section of the Lancaster Canal. The area, near Chorley, now known as ”Botany Bay” was formerly known as Knowley Moss. It gained its new name during the time that it was being used as a base for navvies building the Lancaster Canal; locals likened it to the penal colony in Australia. (LinkExternal link - towpathstreks.co.uk)

This view is looking north from bridge#78A (SD5918 : Botany Bridge). The boatyard is to the right, ahead is SD5919 : Canal Mill (Botany Bay), the Botany Bay Villages visitor attraction.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal :: SD8842
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal is the longest canal in Northern England at 127 miles long. The first of the trans-Pennine canals it took 46 years to build at a cost of five times the original budget, mainly because of the length and complexity of the route. It passes through 91 locks with a summit level of 487 feet at Foulridge near Nelson and Colne. It was originally conceived in the 18th century to carry woollen goods from Leeds and Bradford and limestone from Skipton but in its 19th century heyday it carried stone, coal and many other goods. The impact of the railways was not as great as with other canals and commercial traffic continued along the main canal until 1964. Regular work stopped in 1972 when the movement of coal to Wigan Power Station ceased. In the latter part of the 20th century the leisure potential of the canal was developed and it is now a popular destination for cruising, fishing, walking and cycling. See LinkExternal link for detailed information.
Lancaster Canal
The Lancaster Canal was originally planned to run from Westhoughton in Lancashire to Kendal in South Cumbria. The section around the crossing of the River Ribble was never completed.The southern part, from Johnson's Hillock to Wigan Top Lock, remains navigable as part of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The planned continuation to Westhoughton was never built.

The Lancaster canal is currently only open to navigation for 42 miles from Preston to Tewitfield near Carnforth. The northern terminus at Kendal can no longer be reached; the canal north of Tewitfield having been severed in three places by the construction of the M6 motorway, and by the A590 road near Kendal in the 1960s

LinkExternal link Canal Junction
LinkExternal link Wikipedia
LinkExternal link Lancaster Canal Trust
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD5918, 49 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Thursday, 26 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 26 January, 2012
Geographical Context
Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Leeds and Liverpool  Lancaster 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5929 1891 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:39.9046N 2:37.0550W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5933 1885
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 101 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations welcome!