J2864 : Sluice gate, Lisburn/Hilden (1)
near to Lambeg, Ireland
Barbour's Mill, Hilden, Lisburn :: J2865
Barbour’s Hilden Mill opened in 1784 and closed in 2006. Part of the premises is listed under the number HB19/17/013.
Also on the official “at risk” register where it is described as “A vast industrial complex of early-19th century origins containing a number of substantial buildings from later phases of development, some of which are still partially in use. At one time, according to Bassett, the mill accommodated “the largest manufacturers in the world of tailors™ thread and shoemakers ™ thread for hand and machine sewing“ a function which has slowly been diminished. The complex comprises a number of brick, stone and stucco finished buildings with perhaps the most interesting, architecturally, being the five-bay, two-storey counting house. The remaining structures are, for the most part, unadorned but are just as impressive due to the scale and robustness of their construction. Refs: Bassett, G. H., The book of County Antrim, Dublin, 1888, pp. 218-219 ” .
So far (17 May 2011) it remains standing with no redevelopment underway.
Note added 22 May 2011: one of the buildings (on the southern side of the site) was damaged by a fire on 21 May 2011.
- Grid Square
- J2864, 34 images (more nearby)
- Albert Bridge (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Date Taken
- Sunday, 29 January, 2012 (more nearby)
- Sunday, 29 January, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Subject Location
Irish: J 280 646 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:30.8608N 6:1.4491W
- Photographer Location
- Irish: J 280 646
- View Direction
- NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Forward to a
friend by email
This page has been viewed about 80 times.