The Tower of St Mary and All Saints Church, Conwy, taken 5 years ago
St Mary and All Saints Church, Conwy was founded in the 12th Century as the abbey church of the Cistercian Abbey of Aberconwy. This was the burial place of many of the Princes of Gwynedd, including Gruffydd ap Cynan, Llewelyn ap Maelgwyn, Llywelyn the Great (Llywelyn Fawr), and his sons Dafydd and Gruffydd. After King Edward 1's conquest of Wales in 1283 Edward chose to build Conwy Castle and it's fortified town on the site and forced removal of the Abbey to Maenan in the Conwy valley. Llywelyn the Great's body, buried in 1240 AD was removed to Maenan and then, on the dissolution of the monasteries, to Llanrwst Church, where the coffin can still be seen. St Mary's became the Parish church for the new English town of Conway.
Parts of the walls, notably on the north side, survive from the original 12th century Abbey church. While the lower stages of the tower, the south transept and the porches, were erected in the 14th century. In the 15th century the tower was completed, and the aisle roofs were raised in the 16th century. Parts of the interior to note are the 15th Century rood screen, once probably the finest in North Wales, and the medieval chancel stalls.
There are many interesting slate gravestones in the churchyard and one tomb in particular containing seven brothers and sisters is marked "We Are Seven." It is said to have inspired the poet William Wordsworth to write his poem of the same name.