SD6431 : St Saviour, Mellor Brook - Church of England

taken 10 years ago, near to Mellor Brook, Lancashire, Great Britain

St Saviour, Mellor Brook - Church of England
St Saviour, Mellor Brook - Church of England
St Saviour was founded in 1824 and closed in 1869. In 1869 the building was in a poor state of repair, and with the original trustees all being dead, an application was made by the current vicar and a churchwarden of Balderstone to the Charity Commissioners, who in turn appointed trustees and established a scheme directing that the chapel building should be used for the instruction of the neighbourhood poor. in 1890, Rev. Rawstorne decided that he would do something to alleviate the problem of boredom that was prevalent among the young men of the community. At his own expense he purchased a two room cottage and turned it into a Reading Room. It had been intended that this room should be open for 9 months of the year, but its popularity increased and before long it had attracted a membership of 50. With the chapel now being in hands of Balderstone Church and the Reading Room in need of extension due to its ever increasing membership, Rev. Rawstorne again funded new premises to encompass both a Reading Room and Recreation Room. This new extension was opened on the 11th January 1895 and a stone over the upstairs window still bears the date 1895. Being the property of the Church, in October 1965 meetings were held regarding the future of the building, and the idea of it becoming a Community Centre had been forwarded. The Parochial Church Council of St Leonards, Balderstone, at this stage authorised the vicar, Rev Norman Hodd, to offer the building for sale to the Parish Councils of Balderstone and Osbaldeston for 250. This offer was accepted, and by April 1966 agreement was reached and Mellor Brook Community Centre came into existence.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Steve Houldsworth and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD6431, 47 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 14 May, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 2 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Public buildings and spaces  Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6407 3123 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:46.5693N 2:32.8009W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 6409 3121
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 218 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register