SJ8297 : Bridgewater Canal, St George's Island

near to Rusholme, Manchester, Great Britain

Bridgewater Canal, St George's Island
Bridgewater Canal, St George's Island
A giant poster on the side of the nineteenth century railway viaduct advertises the twenty first century apartments which have replaced the decaying industrial buildings as the area has undergone regeneration.

The apartment block is on a small promontory of land known as “St George’s Island” close to the Mancunian Way. The water between the apartments and the viaduct was the Hulme Locks Junction Canal which once formed an important connection between the Bridgewater Canal and the River Irwell / Manchester Ship Canal. The Hulme Locks Junction Canal was only 200 metres in length. It opened in 1938 but has fallen into a state decline today having been replaced by a new lock which was built in 1995 near to Pamona Dock Number 3.
LinkExternal link - Manchester History Net
The Bridgewater Canal
Often considered to be the first "true" canal, the Bridgewater Canal was commissioned by Francis Egerton, 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, to transport coal from his mines in Worsley. The section from Worsley to Manchester opened on 17th July 1761; it was later extended from Manchester to Runcorn, and then from Worsley to Leigh. Coal was needed in large quantities to fuel the industrial revolution and the canal enabled coal and other goods to be transported efficiently and cheaply to the rapidly expanding towns and cities. Its success helped inspire a period of intense canal building although it later faced intense competition from the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and the Macclesfield Canal.

The canal is connected to the Rochdale Canal (LinkExternal link ) in Manchester, the Trent and Mersey Canal at Preston Brook, south-east of Runcorn, and to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Leigh. It once connected with the River Mersey at Runcorn but has since been cut off by a slip road to the Silver Jubilee Bridge.

Navigable throughout its history, it is one of the few canals in Britain not to have been nationalised, and remains privately owned. Commercial traffic continued on the canal until 1974. By this time, canals were becoming more important as a leisure facility and pleasure craft now use the canal which forms part of the Cheshire Ring circular canal route.

For many years, the canal around Worsley was noted for the distinctive bright orange colouring of the water. This was a result of iron oxide from the mines tainting the water as the canal passes through Worsley. A £2.5 million remedial scheme (LinkExternal link ) is currently being undertaken to remove this colouration.

The Bridgewater Canal is owned and operated by the Manchester Ship Canal Company in conjunction with the Bridgewater Canal Trust.

LinkExternal link Bridgewater Canal Company
LinkExternal link Pennine Waterways
LinkExternal link Wikipedia
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8297, 201 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Wednesday, 1 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 3 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Canals  Railways  City, Town centre 
Canal (from Tags)
Bridgewater Canal 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8274 9746 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.4151N 2:15.6902W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8279 9746
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 78 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register