TF0592 : Tomb Slab, Kingerby church

taken 6 years ago, near to Kingerby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Tomb Slab, Kingerby church
Tomb Slab, Kingerby church
Possibly Henry Disney, circa 1350
St Peter's church, Kingerby
The church is the third on the same site near to the Roman Camp opposite. The Porch has a lovely 13th century entrance arch. The east window is 14th century. Near to the door are two knights belonging to the Disney family. One is in 13th century chain armour the other is wearing 14th century plate armour.
The two splendid knights possibly represent two Sir William Disneys, father (in chain mail) and son (in plate armour): the Disneys of Norton Disney held the manor in the 14th and 15th centuries. The father was one of the companions of Edward II; the son died in 1349 during the Black Death. According to Gervase Holles in 1639 they were originally on a tomb at the north-east of the vanished north aisle. In the chancel is another monument, an intriguing slab of semi-recessed carvings with head and feet visible – the head and clasped hands under and ogee arch below which forms the base of a floriated cross covering his body – again a Disney, this time Henry who spent time as a cleric before returning to farm his father’s land in 1344. There is a monument comparable to this at Norton Disney, the other side of Lincoln. SK8858
The east window in the nave is 14th century and has pre-reformation glass including a crucifixion and St Catherine with her wheel. She was a Christian Martyr of the 4th century. There is also a figure of St Cecilia, the patroness of church music and is seen with her organ. She was put to death about 200 AD, a Christian Martyr. The stained glass window in the West end depicts St Paul and St John the Baptist and is in memory of the Rev James Walter and his wife Frances. Mr Walter was Vicar of Market Rasen for 53 years. They both rest together in Kingerby churchyard.
The tower is 13th century and there are two bells dated 1688.
The church escaped the heavy hand of the Victorian restorers although the old pulpit, screen and pews arranged around the preacher were all removed in the restoration in the 1920s. Now vested in The Churches Conservation Trust, St Peter’s stands alone, surrounded by trees in its churchyard.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0592, 73 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 27 January, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 5 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Peters 
Place (from Tags)
Kingerby 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0573 9286 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:25.3170N 0:24.6261W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0573 9286
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Tomb Slab 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 75 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register