TR1844 : Parsonage Farm, North Elham

taken 6 years ago, near to Elham, Kent, Great Britain

Parsonage Farm, North Elham
Parsonage Farm, North Elham
Parsonage Farm was owned by Merton College, Oxford, from 1270 until sold to the Palmer family in 1957. From the front it appears to be a simple 18th-century house but the upper floor at the rear is 16th-century and timber-framed and has an overhang over a very curious undercroft. The walls are of chalk block, about two feet thick, with stone quoins and narrow slit windows, which are blocked on the outside; there is a round headed doorway in the west wall. The undercroft once had a barrel vaulted ceiling, but this was sliced away to take the Tudor joists above. All this indicates that it was the undercroft of a Norman house perhaps as early at the 12th-century.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Baker and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR1844, 49 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 3 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 5 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Housing, Dwellings 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 1818 4475 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:9.6227N 1:7.1369E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 1818 4473
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Farmhouse 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 116 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register