SD7737 : St Mary (Queen of Peace), Sabden - Roman Catholic

taken 13 years ago, near to Sabden, Lancashire, Great Britain

St Mary (Queen of Peace), Sabden - Roman Catholic
St Mary (Queen of Peace), Sabden - Roman Catholic
Founded in Sabden in 1873 the parish began by being an out-station of Clitheroe, St. Michael's, where the baptismal register has an entry of the baptism of a John Noble of Sabden dated 1798. The present village of Sabden is not much older than that. It was formerly called Hey-houses. In the 1790's two brothers from Burnley, named Berry, set up a weaving and dyeing works on the brook which runs through this valley. The stream is still called Sabden brook and this name was taken by the new village.
The tradition here is that the Catholics of Sabden would set off on Sunday mornings to climb over Pendle Hill, carrying their food for the day. The track was a very rough affair in those days through the Nick o' Pendle; it entailed a steep climb up and down of nearly 5 miles. One woman remembers her brother catching a young rabbit on the way over, which he took with him to Mass. It caused a sensation when it escaped there-and he began crawling after it through the people.
Sabden owes its own start as a Catholic parish to the Trappes family of Clayton-le-Moors. During the 1870's the Squire formed the habit of riding on horse-back to Clitheroe for Sunday Mass, and he seems to have preferred coming the long way round through Sabden valley and over Pendle Hill, about 10 or 12 miles. On these journeys he was witness of the fidelity and the hardships of the poor Sabden Catholics and of his charity he gave a large sum to Fr. Lea, S.J., of St. Michael's, to build them a church. Later on a bazaar was organised in Clitheroe for the same purpose and with this money Fr. Lea bought from the Fort estate a piece of ground in Sabden, upon which he built the present school and the 3 adjoining houses.

Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Steve Houldsworth and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD7737, 75 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 6 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 7775 3739 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:49.9373N 2:20.3732W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 7773 3739
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register