NT1171 : Wilkie's Basin

near to Ratho Station, Edinburgh, Great Britain

Wilkie's Basin
Wilkie's Basin
The canal widens here, and at the back of the island are what look like the remains of barges. I gather that quarry products were brought to Wilkie's Basin on barges, and were then transferred to railway waggons. It is said that the railway company had bought out the canal, and naturally preferred to use the railway rather than the canal. I have not discovered who Wilkie was, however, or why he had a basin named after him.
The Union Canal
Following the completion and opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal in 1790, it was not long before the idea arose of a canal to link Edinburgh to the west, and in particular to the coal mining areas in the west of Scotland, to enable coal to be supplied more cheaply to the capital. Other commodities suited for canal transport included building stone and lime.

It took another two decades, however, before a survey was undertaken of a route that would link the proposed canal to the Forth and Clyde Canal at Falkirk. The necessary Act of Parliament authorising construction was passed in 1817, and work started at the Edinburgh end, at Port Hopetoun, the following year.

The canal was designed by Hugh Baird LinkExternal link and Thomas Telford LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link on behalf of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Union Canal Company, whose 384 shareholders included the Lord Provost of Edinburgh and a number of titled persons.

The canal was originally 32 miles in length and 5 feet deep, and it is a contour canal, that is, it follows the 241 foot (73 metre) contour, except for three river valleys where major aqueducts had to be built to carry the canal across at this height. These are the Slateford Aqueduct over the Water of Leith, the Almond Aqueduct 75 feet (23 metres) above the River Almond at Lin's Mill, and the longest of all at 810 feet (250 metres), the Avon Aqueduct, 86 feet (36 metres) above the River Avon near Linlithgow.

A tunnel 690 yards (636 metres) in length was required near Falkirk because the owner of Callendar House, William Forbes, refused to allow the canal to pass through his land, and this undertaking contributed to the final cost being almost double the original estimate of 240,500. The final bill of over 460,000 equates to anything between 2000 million and 380,000 million at 2014 prices, depending on how it is calculated.

The water level is maintained from a reservoir in the Pentland Hills, a three-mile channel from the River Almond, and other feeders.

At Falkirk the Union Canal was 110 feet (33 metres) above the level of the Forth and Clyde Canal, and a flight of eleven locks was built to link the two canals. Most of the 60-odd bridges are fixed, so neither locks nor opening bridges delayed navigation most of the way, though the aqueducts were only wide enough for boats and barges to travel in one direction at a time; oncoming vessels had to wait until the way was clear.

Construction took just four years, and the canal opened for traffic in 1822. Tolls were charged for the carriage of goods, and fares for passengers. There was also income from wharfage. Maximum charges were laid down in the enabling Act of Parliament. The Company was required to pay duties on goods carried to the Burgh of Linlithgow and the City of Edinburgh because the canal took trade away from the turnpike roads maintained by the respective councils.

Early trade was brisk, but unfortunately its heyday lasted only about 20 years, until the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway superseded it in 1842, and in 1849 the canal was acquired by the railway company. Its use declined steadily over the years, and in the 1930s the flight of eleven locks at Falkirk was filled in and built on. Other stretches of the canal in Edinburgh were also built on, including the Edinburgh terminus. The City Bypass cut the route west of Edinburgh, and the M8 motorway blocked it near Broxburn. The canal was officially closed in 1965, though various stretches were used recreationally, for example for rowing and angling.

Towards the end of the 20th century there was a revival of interest in canals, mainly for recreational use, and the restoration of the Forth and Clyde Canal and the Union Canal was mooted. The project was adopted as one of the major undertakings to mark the millennium, and obtained funding from the European Union and the Millennium Commission among others. A new terminus with associated new retail, residential and commercial buildings was created in Edinburgh and a new stretch of canal dug to replace the section built on at Wester Hailes. The Scott Russell Aqueduct (named after John Scott Russell, who first observed a soliton wave on the canal in 1834) now carries the canal over the City Bypass, and a diversion was built to pass beneath the M8 motorway. The final piece of the restoration was the unique Falkirk Wheel, at the end of an extension to the original canal at Falkirk, which lifts and lowers boats between the Union Canal and the Forth and Clyde Canal.

The Millennium Link restoration cost some 84 million and the restored canal was opened in 2001. The Falkirk Wheel was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the following year.
Narrowboats
A Narrowboat is a long thin boat, designed to fit the canals of England and Wales. They were 7 feet (2.1 metres) wide, and up to 70 feet (21 metres) in length, the maximum that will fit in a standard lock.

In the 18th century before the age of steam railways and the internal combustion engines, the canals were one of the key systems of transporting goods around the country. The boats were towed by a shire horse walking along the tow-path. Of course boats today are powered by diesel engines.

Most narrowboats today are used for holidays & leisure cruising, and some are used as homes.

Read more at wikipedia LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Anne Burgess and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT1171, 37 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Wednesday, 15 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 15 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Islands  Industry  Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 1193 7106 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:55.4713N 3:24.6569W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 1199 7107
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Union Canal 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved