SD8205 : Heaton Park Reservoir Pumping Station

near to Whitefield, Bury, Great Britain

Heaton Park Reservoir Pumping Station
Heaton Park Reservoir Pumping Station
The pumping station on the Heywood Road side of Heaton Park Reservoir is a small, square building constructed in 1954-5 using Yorkshire sandstone. It is notable for the large relief, by sculptress Mitzi Cunliffe which depicts the bringing of water from Haweswater to Manchester. The mural uses Westmorland greenstone from Broughton Moor; beneath it are five plaques telling the history of the Haweswater supply.

In 1998, the pumping station was designated as a Grade II listed building by English Heritage.

LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings.

See SD8205 : Mitzi Cunliffe Mural for a closer view of the mural.
Heaton Park :: SD8304
Heaton Park, which comprises the grounds of a Grade I listed neoclassical 18th-century country house, Heaton Hall (SD8304 : Heaton Hall) is located 4 miles north of Manchester city centre. Covering an area reported as over 640 acres, it is the biggest park in Greater Manchester and one of the largest municipal parks in Europe. Heaton Park is listed Grade 2 on the English Heritage Register of Parks and there are nine listed structures in the park. Details can be found on the English Heritage website LinkExternal link .

Heaton Park was sold to Manchester City Council in 1902, by the Earl of Wilton, to be kept for the enjoyment and recreation of the public. Manchester Council later used part of the north side of the park for the construction of a large gravity feed reservoir; interrupted by the First World War, this work was only completed in the 1920s. A municipal golf course (SD8304 : Heaton Park Golf Course) was also laid out and a large boating lake excavated (SD8303 : Heaton Park Boating Lake). The former facade of the first Manchester Town Hall on King Street (SD8303 : Heaton Park - Town Hall Colonnade)was re-erected as a backdrop to the lake.

During the First World War the Manchester Pals used the park as a training depot. The park was also used as the site of a Royal Air Force depot in the Second World War.

At the end of the 20th century the park was renovated and some of the buildings and original vistas from the 18th century landscape design were restored as part of a millennium project partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund and Manchester City Council.

LinkExternal link Heaton Park website
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8205, 28 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Friday, 17 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 17 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Water resources 
Building Material (from Tags)
Sandstone 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8227 0505 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.5074N 2:16.1410W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8224 0504
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register