TR0546 : Interior looking west, Wye Church

near to Wye, Kent, Great Britain

Interior looking west, Wye Church
Interior looking west, Wye Church
Cardinal Kempe can be seen at the bottom centre of the west window.
Church of Ss Gregory & Martin, Wye
There was a church here before the conquest,and in 1067 the control of the church passed to Battle Abbey, which received revenues and tithes. Wye developed into a small market town, and the new church was built about 1290. The outer walls were built with flint nodules. There was a central tower, supported by marble pillars, with a wooden spire. A rood screen and loft divided the nave and chancel, and there were silver chalices and rich vestments.
In 1432 Cardinal John Kempe established a priest's college in Wye. Battle Abbey had started to decline, and Kempe intended to take over the responsibility for the church. He built a college on land adjacent to the church, which he restored and embellished. The south doorway had a new porch and parvise, and many grand memorials no doubt existed. At the time of the reformation the church was very wealthy, but afterwards began to decline. Most of the church silver was sold in 1551 to pay for necessary repairs. Ornaments and splendid altars were removed, and rood screens destroyed. Tithes were now paid to private individuals. In 1572 the steeple was struck by lightning, and further damages followed with an earthquake in 1580.
In 1628 the wooden spire was replaced. However in 1689 the steeple started to fall during a Sunday service, and a great deal of damage was done. Memorials were smashed, only one brass remained. Eventually money was raised - Lady Joanna Thornhill (whose memorial is in the church) gave 50 - a large amount in those days. A decision was taken to rebuild to a new plan, a small elegant chancel, sumptuous and quite unecclesiastical in the style of the time(1706).
The Tower was rebuilt at the same time, eventually with 8 bells, and in 1736 5040 Grandsire Triples were rung. In 1872 the advowson was given to the Archbishop of Canterbury, and after further decline, in 1878 further alterations were carried out.
The west window is 20th Century, to a design by Gerald smith.
The church is Grade I listed.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR0546, 171 images   (more nearby)
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Saturday, 25 February, 2012   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 29 February, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Church (from Tags)
Ss Gregory & Martin 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0539 4690 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:11.0650N 0:56.2514E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0541 4690
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 18 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
please support us