The St Thomas Centre was constructed as a 2-storey church in 1741. Over time, the building has been widened and extended eastwards through the formation of a pair of bays. The building has a relatively simple Georgian style of red brick punctuated with 7 vertically aligned windows at ground and first floor levels. The 'Italianate' campanile tower to the west elevation of the building has also been added to the original structure (in 1836). The building incorporates has moulded cornice and a brick parapet concealing a shallow pitched roof.
The building is set back from its southern boundary (with Ardwick Green North) by a graveyard comprising of gravestones that have been laid flat. The southern and western boundaries are defined by brick walls and railings, with a brick wall along the eastern boundary. The northern elevation has a shallow set back from the back of footpath to Niven Street. The southern boundary is punctuated by pedestrian access points to the east and west. The 'western' access has been adapted to provide and accessible route to the main entrance to the building on the western elevation.
The church building was listed as Grade II in 1974 Link
and was declared redundant and deconsecrated as a place of worship in 1978. The building was purchased by Manchester City Council in 1980 and subsequently re-opened as a centre for the voluntary and community use. It functions as an office for Greater Manchester Centre for Voluntary Organisation Link
and provides accommodation for other local and national voluntary and community sector groups, providing associated conference, meeting and training events.