SK6813 : Sculpture of Colonel Edward Hawkins Cheney
near to Gaddesby, Leicestershire, Great Britain
St Luke's church, Gaddesby
The parish church was commenced in the early 12th century, with alterations and additions over the years, and was largely completed in 1350. It owes its growth and magnificence to two important factors – the wealth and prosperity of Gaddesby village in feudal times, and its association with the Knights Templar of Rothley.
The lower parts of the ironstone tower (with its broach spire) are the oldest part of the church. The present porch is 18th century. The chancel is difficult to date. There is a fine east window firmly Early English in style, on the south side is a Decorated window and also a Perpendicular one.
Two pillars in the south arcade have raised stone ledges round them which served as seating for the aged and infirm; before 1350 the congregation was obliged to stand during services. The pews in the nave are probably 15th century. Box family pews once stood in the North aisle.
The limestone font is circa 1320 carved with lilies and a consecration cross. The wooden screen, altar furnishings and reredos are late Victorian.
There is a near life-size sculptured monument by Joseph Gott, 1848, of Col. Cheney on one of the four horse reputedly shot from under him in the Battle of Waterloo. This statue depicts Colonel Edward Hawkins Cheney of the Royal Scots Greys. He had four horses killed from under him. He rose off on the fifth and the command of the regiment devolved upon him. At the base a panel shows Sergeant Ewart in hand to hand combat, with a French officer, trying to recapture a lost Napoleonic eagle.
He married Eliza Ayre whose father, John Ayre Esquire lived at Gaddesby Hall, which property Colonel Cheney inherited. He died in 1845.
There is a, perhaps apocryphal story, that Joseph Gott, on completing the statue, realised that he had left out the tongue of the “in extremis” horse. It is said that in despair he committed suicide. The horse’s teeth have been stained by the apple placed in its mouth each year at harvest festival time.
It is the only equestrian statue in an English church.
In the north aisle is an effigy of an unknown knight and an alabaster incised slab to William Darby and his wife (1498).
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- SK6813, 26 images (more nearby)
- J.Hannan-Briggs (find more nearby)
- Contributed by
- Julian P Guffogg (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Supplemental image
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 28 April, 2012 (more nearby)
- Monday, 30 April, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Place (from Tags)
- Church (from Tags)
- Subject Location
OSGB36: SK 6898 1304 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:42.6382N 0:58.8245W
- Photographer Location
- OSGB36: SK 6896 1304
- View Direction
- EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
This page has been viewed about 206 times.