SP9952 : Stevington Windmill

near to Stevington, Bedfordshire, Great Britain

Stevington Windmill
Stevington Windmill
A post mill with four common cloth type sails, the last mill to use this ancient technology commercially. The building was built in 1770 and restored in 1921,1958 and 2004. All the internal machinery is intact, inside is one set of stones with a governor and iron tentering beam. There is no faintail, this is a very simple machine. Once called on a survey 'useless'. It was used mostly for grinding cattle feed until 1939 before purchased by Bedford Borough Council as part of the County's contribution to the Festival of Britain.
It is sometimes used, for example mills open weekend. Access can be gained via a key from the Royal George in the village.

See other images of Stevington Windmill
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ashley Dace and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9952, 30 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Saturday, 5 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 6 May, 2012
Geographical Context
Industry 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 9918 5276 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:9.8525N 0:33.0841W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 9945 5265
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 28 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register