SJ9398 : Junction Mill Chimney

near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, Great Britain

Junction Mill Chimney
Junction Mill Chimney
The octagonal chimney, 210 feet (64m) high with an unusual tulip-shaped top was built in 1867 to serve Samuel Heginbottom's cotton-spinning mill which operated from 1831 to 1930. The mill itself was eventually demolished and replaced in recent years with canalside apartments called "Boatmans Walk". In 2000 the chimney was bought by Tameside Council and restored.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9398, 387 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Tuesday, 8 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 May, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Place (from Tags)
Ashton Under Lyne 
Date (from Tags)
1867  1831  1930  2000 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9337 9834 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.9043N 2:6.0824W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9337 9830
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Apartments  Canalside Housing  Chimney  Former Mill Chimney  Restored Chimney 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 39 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register