NR8092 : Milestone on the Crinan Canal
taken 5 years ago, near to Bellanoch, Argyll And Bute, Great Britain
Crinan Canal :: NR7993
The Crinan Canal provides a shortcut for vessels between the Clyde and the West of Scotland that avoids the long, and often dangerous, route around the Mull of Kintyre. The canal runs between Ardrishaig on Loch Gilp, an arm of Loch Fyne, and Crinan giving access to the waters of the west coast.
The original proposals for such a canal date from the late 18th Century, and John Rennie was the civil engineer appointed to the project. Work was started in 1794 but was fraught with difficulties due to the terrain. After destructive floods and repairs, the canal opened in 1809 and was substantially repaired by Thomas Telford by 1817.
The canal has 15 locks (16, if you include the bar at the Crinan Hotel) and reaches its summit at Cairnbaan. The canal is supplied with water by a network of dammed lochs in the Knapdale forest. The harbours at Ardrishaig and Crinan are managed by British Waterways, who assumed responsibility for the canal in 1962. The sea lock at Crinan remains permanently open outside manned hours as a refuge for mariners.
The canal is now mainly used by leisure craft, although smaller naval vessels have been seen to pass through, as well as the preserved puffer VIC 32, which is based at Crinan. The length of the canal is enjoyed by walkers and cyclists, and provides an excellent vantage point to view the National Nature Reserve at Moine Mhor.
The harbours at either end retain commercial uses, with fishing vessels at Crinan and timber boats carrying away Argyll’s sitka spruce logs from Ardrishaig.
Dalriada Project :: NR7993
The Dalriada Project was established in 2006 following a successful bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund. The project was a Landscape Partnership Scheme and was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and a range of other partners including Forestry Commission Scotland, Scottish Natural Heritage, Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll and the Islands LEADER and Argyll and the Islands Enterprise.
The project area covers 296 square kilometres of Mid Argyll that includes, North Knapdale, Kilmartin Glen as far north as Carnassarie Castle, the Crinan Canal Corridor and Kilmichael Glassary.
Projects were initiated to enhance the natural and cultural heritage and promote the enjoyment of the Dalriada area. The project was funded up to £3.1 million and there were 10 projects in all. The project was completed in 2010.
The project had the vision of: “Enhancing people’s access and understanding of the outstanding natural and cultural heritage of mid Argyll through a unique network of routes, sites and interpretation points”.
More information at: Link
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- NR8092, 77 images (more nearby )
- Patrick Mackie (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Supplemental image
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 19 May, 2012 (more nearby)
- Saturday, 2 June, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Canal (from Tags)
- Subject Location
OSGB36: NR 8002 9259 [10m precision]
WGS84: 56:4.5227N 5:32.1807W
- Camera Location
- OSGB36: NR 8002 9259
- View Direction
- North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
This page has been viewed about 21 times.