NZ2760 : Park on site of former Kell's Quarry, Windy Nook

near to Felling, Gateshead, Great Britain

Park on site of former Kell's Quarry, Windy Nook
Park on site of former Kell's Quarry, Windy Nook
Richard Kell was the second son of Ebenezer Kell of Felling Shore, born in 1749. Richard began quarrying at Heworth Shore in 1784. The family continued the business of quarrying throughout the C19th, establishing quarries at High Heworth and Windy Nook, amongst others. St. Albanís Church, Windy Nook Board Schools, the Co-operative Society and Windy Nook Fever Hospital are among the many buildings built with stone from Kellís Quarry at Windy Nook. Windy Nook Sandstone Quarries were famous for producing high quality grindstones and pulp-stones (used in paper mills). The quarries became run down in the early 1900s and were eventually filled in during the 1960s.
View towards Whitehills, with NZ2760 : 'The Fortress', Whitehills on the hilltop above the trees.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2760, 18 images   (more nearby)
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Sunday, 20 May, 2012   (more nearby)
Monday, 4 June, 2012
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Quarrying, Mining  Park and Public Gardens  Suburb, Urban fringe 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2760 6061 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:56.3639N 1:34.2437W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 2758 6064
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 47 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register