Grosmont - 1985
Grosmont, Front Street, North Yorkshire Moors Railway level crossing at Grosmont railway station.
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) is a heritage railway in North Yorkshire, England. First opened in 1836 as the Whitby and Pickering Railway, the railway was planned in 1831 by George Stephenson as a means of opening up trade routes inland from the then important seaport of Whitby. The line closed in 1965. It was reopened in 1973 by the North York Moors Historical Railway Trust Ltd. The preserved line is now a significant tourist attraction and has been awarded many industry accolades.
The Ex GWR/BR Steam Locomotive No. 6619 is one of the 6600 Class of 0-6-2T tank engine, power class D (5MT).
6619 is a Great Western 0-6-2T, built in 1928 by Swindon Works, to a design by C.B.Collett. The 56xx Class was specially designed for work in South Wales, replacing the elderly, worn-out locomotives that had been 'inherited' in 1923. They were built to work heavy coal trains, but were later dispersed further afield. The locomotive was rescued from Barry Scrapyard by owners P.Proud and K.Gould, and restored for use on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, where it has been based up to now. Extensive modifications have been made to improve the locomotive, resulting in a super machine! Its owners have put it up for sale, but it remains at Embsay for the time being on hire.