TL5480 : Bishop Hotham's Tomb, Ely Cathedral

near to Ely, Cambridgeshire, Great Britain

Bishop Hotham's Tomb, Ely Cathedral
Bishop Hotham's Tomb, Ely Cathedral
John Hotham (died 1337) was a medieval Chancellor of the Exchequer, Lord High Treasurer, Lord Chancellor and Bishop of Ely.
This stone canopy once stood over the tomb of Bishop Hotham within the Choir. His tomb now stands in the South Choir Aisle. For many years this canopy was mistaken for part of the Shrine of St Ethelreda. The fragments of stone beneath may have belonged to Ethelreda’s shrine which was destroyed at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the reign of Henry VIII. A slate slab in the Presbytery marks where her shrine stood.

Ely Cathedral
Ely Cathedral > LinkExternal link is believed to originate from an old church which was restored by Etheldreda, queen, foundress and abbess of Ely. She was the daughter of Anna, king of East Anglia and can often be found depicted on East Anglian rood screens. In 673 she founded a monastery in Ely, the site of which was where Ely cathedral now stands. The monastery flourished but was eventually destroyed by the Danes and refounded as a Benedictine community in 970. Etheldreda died around 680 and was buried in Ely where her shrine was the focus for a vast number of medieval pilgrims. Work on the cathedral as it stands today began in the 11th century under the leadership of Abbot Simeon, and the monastic church became a cathedral in 1109. The oldest parts of the cathedral still standing are the south and north transepts which date from around 1090. Both have C15 hammerbeam roofs adorned with carved angels. The west tower was extended in the 14th century and the octagonal lantern above the crossing was built by Alan of Walsingham after the Norman central tower had collapsed in 1322. The monastery at Ely was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539 and St Etheldreda's shrine was destroyed. The first major restoration took place in the 18th century and a second restoration project began in 1839 under the then Dean George Peacock and architect Sir George Gilbert Scott. A third major restoration project - the most expensive to date - was begun in 1986 and completed in the year 2000. The cathedral is 161 metres long and nave and aisles are 24 metres wide. The Octagon lantern tower is situated 43 metres above the floor. The total area of the cathedral covers 4273 square metres. The cathedral's stained glass windows date from the Victorian restoration.

A Stained Glass Museum is situated in the south triforium gallery. It is the only museum in England dedicated to stained glass.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL5480, 500 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 3 June, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 11 June, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Cathedral (from Tags)
Ely 
Place (from Tags)
Ely 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 5410 8025 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:23.9145N 0:15.8118E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 5410 8025
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Memorial Tomb 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 55 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register