J1576 : Crumlin station (2012)
near to Crumlin, Ireland
Lisburn, Knockmore Jct and Antrim railway
The line between Knockmore Jct and Antrim opened in 1871 with intermediate stations, halts and calling places at Brookmount, Brookhill. Meeting House, Ballinderry, Legatiriff, Glenavy, Crumlin, Aldergrove and Millar’s Bridge. It closed to passengers in 1960 but remained open for cross-Border freight trains to/from Londonderry. A local passenger service, from Lisburn to Antrim serving Ballinderry, Glenavy and Crumlin, was restored in 1974. The signal cabin and junction at Knockmore Jct closed in 1977 with the opening of a third line to Lisburn which included a Knockmore halt at the Ballinderry Road, Lisburn.
Belfast – Londonderry/Portrush trains were diverted to the line in 1978 and used it until 2001. A local passenger service remained until 2003. The line is now “mothballed” with no immediate prospect of re-opening (September 2011).
- Grid Square
- J1576, 80 images (more nearby)
- Albert Bridge (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Date Taken
- Sunday, 17 June, 2012 (more nearby)
- Sunday, 17 June, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Subject Location
Irish: J 155 761 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:37.2354N 6:12.7060W
- Photographer Location
- Irish: J 155 761
- View Direction
- NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Forward to a
friend by email
This page has been viewed about 123 times.