TQ5201 : The Plough and Harrow, The Street, Litlington
near to Litlington, East Sussex, Great Britain
Litlington and Lullington :: TQ5202
Litlington and Lullington are two small villages that lie on the eastern bank of the Cuckmere River as it makes its way through a valley in the South Downs near to the old market town of Alfriston. Lullington lies almost opposite Alfriston whilst Litlington is located a little to the south. Both villages have shrunk in size over the century though Lullington's is more pronounced.
The original parish of Lullington was bounded by the river to the west, what is now the South Downs Way to the north, Deep Dean and Lullington Heath to the east and another bridleway to the south. A detached portion also lay on the southern slopes of Fore down wedged between Litlington and Westdean. The manor of Lullington was acquired by Battle Abbey during the medieval period and run by their manor at nearby Alciston. There has been a long debate over the extent of the original village and whether it was small to begin with. The church was built towards the end of the 12th century and extended at periods over the next three centuries before a fire destroyed it sometime between 1674 and 1684, not the result of Oliver Cromwell as some local stories suggest. The fact that only the chancel was retained pointed to a long disappeared populace probably a result of changes in Downland agricultural practice, keeping large flocks of sheep do not require many farm labourers, and the Black Death resulting in a shift of the remaining population down to Lullington Farm. Since that time the population has remained small to the extent that the parish was amalgamated with nearby Alfriston in 1927.
Litlington parish is also bounded by the river to the west and a bridleway to the north that heads towards Lullington Heath, another to the south from Clapham Barn to Snap Hill and the current edge of Friston Forest to the east. Litlington has also shrunk in size but not to the extent of Lullington and still retains a village street and a pub. Its church also dates from the 12th century and remains a good example of a small medieval downland church.
Peter Brandon - The South Downs (Phillimore,2006)
John Vigar - The Lost Villages of Sussex (Dovecote Press, 1994)
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- TQ5201, 127 images (more nearby)
- PAUL FARMER (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Date Taken
- Wednesday, 11 July, 2012 (more nearby)
- Saturday, 14 July, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Place (from Tags)
- Road (from Tags)
- Subject Location
OSGB36: TQ 522 016 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.6864N 0:9.5680E
- Photographer Location
- OSGB36: TQ 522 016
- View Direction
- NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
This page has been viewed about 30 times.