TM2748 : The Tide Mill, Woodbridge

taken 6 years ago, near to Woodbridge, Suffolk, Great Britain

The Tide Mill, Woodbridge
The Tide Mill, Woodbridge
Taken near high tide, so hiding the mud flats. Gaffer tape is used everywhere!
Woodbridge Tide Mill
Woodbridge tide mill is a local landmark and museum in the Suffolk town of Woodbridge.

A mill has been here since the 12th century. First being recorded in 1170, it noted that Baldwin of Ufford was given easier access to the facilities. At this time the mill was owned by Augustinian Canons, the priory being in the town centre.
The Priory was one of the first to be dissolved by Henry VIII in the dissolution, Henry becoming the first royal owner of Woodbridge Tide Mill. It was later sold to Sir John Wingfield, a high up member of society. Sir John Wingfield died without a heir, thus the property returned to the Crown. In 1564 Queen Elizabeth passed the ex-priory estate to her trusted legal advisor, Thomas Seckford. The mill remained in the family until 1672 when Dorothy Seckford died (niece of Thomas).
It was sold to Jonathan Bass who was in ownership from 1672 - 1691. It then passed onto the Burward family and remained in their ownership (passing several generations) until 1792.
The Cuttings family (coal merchants and farmers) bought the mill and invested in a new building (the current one). The Quay and warehouses were also improved in this scheme. January 1808 saw an advert for sale put in 'The Bury Post'.
George Edwards became the new owner in 1811. He wasn't for too long, selling to John Manby in 1836. Staying in Manby family hands until 1875, it was then sold to the Haywards. Alfred Hayward passed the mill onto another Alfred before Leonard Hayward took charge. He died in 1938 and it then became Geoffrey Le Mare Atkinsons property (1933-54). John Matthews was the last substantial owner having the mill from 1954 until 1968. It briefly became the property of the Nuns Corn and Coal company. In 1968 Mrs RT Gardner took ownership, preservation was secure and the trust was set up.
Iron cladding had saved a lot of the timber but there was a massive amount of restoration needed. Today the machinery is intact but sadly not functional.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Charles Greenhough and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM2748, 307 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 11 April, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 14 July, 2012
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Water resources  Docks, Harbours  Estuary, Marine 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 275 487 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:5.4059N 1:19.2312E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 274 486
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 113 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register