SK8172 : St.Gregory's nave

near to North Clifton, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

St.Gregory's nave
St.Gregory's nave
Early 14th century nave in St.Gregory's church
Church of St Gregory, Fledborough
The church comprises a nave and south porch, north and south aisles, chancel, and west tower. The earliest (12th century) fabric belongs to the lowest stage of the tower , the upper stage being Early English. The nave and aisles date from the 13th century with later additions including a 14th century clerestory; the chancel was virtually completely rebuilt in 1890.

Inside the aisle arcades on both sides are 13th century Early English work. Although the aisles date from this period, the windows are later, 15th century insertions in Perpendicular style. The clerestory is 14th century Decorated. In the late 18th century the chancel was ruinous and rebuilt on a smaller scale, and further rebuilt in the 19th century when it was extended again. Until the 18th century there was a chantry chapel at the east end of the south aisle, the blocked archway to which is still evident.

The interior also has a number of interesting fittings and features. Of particular interest are the remains of an Easter Sepulchre, probably 14th century work, reinstated in the north wall of the chancel when this was rebuilt in the 19th century. The main surviving panel depicts the soldiers sleeping at the tomb.

A tomb recess in the north wall of the north aisle with a tomb slab with foliate cross is believed to be that of Hugo of Normanton, rector of Fledborough 1287-1318. There is a plain octagonal font, thought also to be 14th century. In the north aisle can be found two stone effigies of a knight and a lady. Both are 14th century and are thought to represent Sir John de Lisieux and Dame Clemence de Lisieux. He was probably responsible for the 14th century expansion of the church. The effigies would originally have been in the south aisle chantry chapel. A poor box carved from a single piece of oak stands inside the south door with the inscription 'REMEMBER THE POORE 1684'.

The church is fortunate in possessing some fine examples of 14th century stained glass. Most noteworthy is the east window of the north aisle which contains two full panels depicting St John the Baptist and St Andrew (left panel) and (right) the Madonna and Child and an unidentified knight in armour, possibly the benefactor. The smaller lights contain heraldic devices. There are other fragments of similar age in the other north aisle windows. In the window of the north side of the chancel, further fragments have been gathered together which are thought to be even earlier.

In 1991 the church was declared redundant and passed into the hands of the Churches Conservation Trust LinkExternal link . For more information about the church see the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project LinkExternal link . At the time of my visit their entry had not been completed and much of the information above comes from the guide in the church compiled in 2033 by Canon Jean Calvert. The church is Listed Grade I.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Croft and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8172, 67 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 15 July, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 18 July, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8121 7219 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:14.4321N 0:47.0759W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8121 7219
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Nave 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 11 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved