TR0348 : 15th Century Font, Boughton Aluph church

near to Boughton Aluph, Kent, Great Britain

15th Century Font, Boughton Aluph church
15th Century Font, Boughton Aluph church
Grade I Listed.
There was originally a wooden Anglo-Saxon church here.
This was replaced in about 1210 with a stone church, which is today's North chapel. The chancel was built soon afterwards, and South Wall of the original chapel was pierced and an arcade was built. This was supported by three circular columns all having different capital mouldings. The body of the main church was built in the 14th century. The North Chapel, today's vestry, is the oldest part of the church. It is separated from the north transept by a 14th century carved wooden screen. Unusually, there is a step down from the nave into the chancel.
There is a wall painting in the north transept. from about 1440 depicting the Holy Trinity. There is a 13th C. Sedile and Piscinae in the chancel, north chapel and south transept. Some of the windows retain fragments of 14th C. glass. Font is octagonal 15th C.
The south porch contains a unique feature, a large Tudor style fireplace where it is said that pilgrims on their way to Canterbury rested before their onward journey.
In the mid-15th century the manor of Boughton came into the hands of Sir Walter Moyle. His eldest son inherited the estates at Eastwell and his descendants became the Earls of Winchelsea. There is a monument to Amye Clark, ne้ Moyle who died in 1631. The carving is believed to be the work of William Wright who worked near Charing Cross.
The church was restored in 1878.
In September 1940 church tower was set on fire by incendiary bombs and considerable damage was done. In 1951 the church had to be closed due to danger of collapse of the main tower and general disintegration of the fabric.
There was further restoration in the 1990s
There are no pews in the church, and the relative lack of stained glass gives a very light and airy feeling to the church today.


See other images of All Saints' Church, Boughton Aluph
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR0348, 94 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 July, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 25 July, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
All Saints 
Place (from Tags)
Boughton Aluph 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0331 4814 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:11.7777N 0:54.5102E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0331 4814
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Church Font 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph