SU1084 : Monument, St Mary's Church, Lydiard Tregoze
near to Lydiard Millicent, Wiltshire, Great Britain
St Mary’s Church, Lydiard Tregoze, Swindon
Written by Brian Robert Marshall
St Mary’s Church has its origins in the 13th century. Part of the nave and of the north aisle are of that age. However, the church as it is seen today largely dates from the 15th century when the church was rebuilt with a new roof, the tower, the south aisle, the chapel and the chancel. Many wall paintings within the church date from then. The last major changes were carried out in the 17th century when the east end of the church was remodelled. The main stained glass east window was installed then and the chapel ceiling painted.
The exterior of the church is undeniably attractive Link but is typical of many such churches to be found in Wiltshire which have Norman origins and subsequent alterations and extensions. It is the interior where the main interest lies and it is largely the creation of the 1st baronet John St John who lived between about 1585 and 1649. The baronetcy commenced some time during the reign of James I (19 June 1566 – 27 March 1625) when John purchased it for £1095.00.
There are significant traces of wall paintings on the interior surfaces Link and Link These date from 1400 to 1450. Unfortunately it seems that they were painted over in the Civil War years. Attempts to uncover the paintings were made by doubtless well-meaning but inept worthies in 1901 who took off much of the wall paintings with the Cromwellian distemper. Enough remains to provide clues as to their original splendour.
There is a splendid coat of arms dating to the days of Henry VIII when the royal coat of arms had to be displayed within all churches Link and Link
The oldest monument dates to 1592 Link and Link and there is an interesting example of a memorial erected by the subject himself before his eventual demise. Perhaps he didn’t trust his offspring to do it or perhaps he feared that there wouldn’t be any of them left – only four of his thirteen children survived him. Three boys and a girl died in childhood. The eldest son Oliver pre-deceased his father. Three other sons, John, William and Edward, all died fighting in the English Civil War on the Royalist side Link The 1st baronet’s monument to himself can be seen here Link and Link
Two more sons fought for the Parliamentary side.
These photos are no substitute for seeing the interior of the church in person. The church is kept locked but the key can be obtained from the main house on production of proof of identity and address.
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Change to interactive Map >
- Grid Square
- SU1084, 112 images (more nearby)
- Brian Robert Marshall (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Supplemental image
- Date Taken
- Sunday, 29 July, 2012 (more nearby)
- Monday, 30 July, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Subject Location
OSGB36: SU 103 847 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:33.7029N 1:51.0907W
- Photographer Location
- OSGB36: SU 103 847
- View Direction
- SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this page
Forward to a
friend by email
This page has been viewed about 29 times.