SO7745 : Organ in Great Malvern Priory

near to Great Malvern, Worcestershire, Great Britain

Organ in Great Malvern Priory
Organ in Great Malvern Priory
The present organ is a Nicholson, an original Nicholson was installed in 1880, rebuilt in 1927 by Rushworth and Dreaper, and overhauled in 1977.
An historic organ certificate was awarded in 1996.
The current Nicholson organ was completely overhauled in 2004 after an appeal for 40000. The casework is by Caroe 1932. The oak was originally grown on Malvern chase.
Four manual and pedals with 49 stops and 2800 pipes.
Great Malvern Priory
Grade I listed.
Great Malvern Priory was originally founded in 1085 by a monk from Worcester. The pillars and arches of the nave are Norman, some of the stones still bear the mason's marks.
The Priory was expanded and redesigned in the 15th century. It began about 1440 in the Perpendicular style. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1460.
At the dissolution the people of Malvern raised the then vast sum of 20 and bought the Priory. Although it escaped damage in the Civil War, it was during the 18th century that the Priory suffered most, and was not until mid Victorian times that the major restoration works started.
The Priory was built to house 30 Benedictine monks, although there were never that many there. At the time of the black death the number was reduced to 10. The cloisters were on the south side of the Priory, but have long since disappeared. There was also once a south transept and Lady chapel which were both destroyed during the dissolution of the monasteries. The 13th century lady chapel was originally built over an existing crypt.
The Priory has two sets of misericords, the earlier group dates from the 14th century and depicts miscellaneous subjects. The second set depicts the labours of the months, and was carved in the 15th century. There is also a collection of mediaeval tiles dating from 1453. About 100 different designs survive.
The sanctuary contains an effigy of the 13th century knight and also an Elizabethan monument to John Knotsford and his wife. There are several stained-glass windows with mediaeval glass.
Charles Darwin's daughter is buried in the churchyard. She died aged 10 probably of tuberculosis.
There is a fine four manual organ by Nicholson.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO7745, 907 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Friday, 10 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 17 August, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
Great Malvern Priory 
Place (from Tags)
Malvern 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7760 4584 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:6.6257N 2:19.7101W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 7760 4585
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Organ  Pipe Organ 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 27 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved