Grade II* Listed.
Scrivelsby church, which is shared by the parishes of Scrivelsby and Dalderby, is dedicated in honour of St Benedict AD 480-550. An unusual dedication, there are only 17 other churches in England of that name.
The church, built mainly of greenstone, dates back to the 13th century although alterations have occurred throughout the years. Major restoration took place in 1860 by Sir Henry Dymoke, when a North-west tower with a recessed spire was added. The roof of slate was also replaced during this period.
The present lectern, made locally in 1871, stands in front of a massive pillar, which was evidently the foundation of what was once the chancel arch, the old chancel ending at the site of the attractive oak screen.
The arches of the nave are early English, the chancel arch and church itself perpendicular, while the windows show three different styles.
The monuments are especially interesting, including two stone effigies in the north aisle of Sir Philip Marmion and his wife Joan or second wife Mary. He was the last of the Marmions (he only had issue several daughters) who resided at Scrivelsby and died in the 1290s. His legs, before being removed over 350 years ago, were crossed at the ankles indicating that he possibly fought in one of the Crusades. He was both a statesman and a warrior and fought at the Battle of Evesham and was granted lands well outside the confines of Lincolnshire.
The powerful Marmion family were 'Champion' to the Dukes of Normandy in France and came to this country with William, Duke of Normandy, when he invaded England in 1066
The family originally lived in Dymock , Gloucestershire. It seems they left the area to return to live in Scivelsby in the 14th century but took the surname with them. Although there was dispute between the descendants of Sir Philip via his daughters, great granddaughter Margaret who married Sir John Dymocke won the right of Champion in 1377.
A marble monument, elaborately carved in the chancel and touching the screen, is surmounted with the bust of Lewis Dymoke and his shield containing the Dymoke Arms with crest and sword.
In the chancel, on the north wall, is an old brass which was found at Scrivelsby Court and a copy of which appears in the old register book.
Sir Robert Dymoke (1461-1545) son of Sir Thomas Dymocke and Margaret Welles, held high office during the early part of Henry VIIIís reign. He married twice, Anne Sparrow and Jane Cressmore and had a total of 6 children. After the Kingís divorce he was controller of Katherine of Aragonís household. He died in 1545 and his tomb is surmounted by a handsome brass in memory of him. His son, Sir Edward Dymoke - Kings Champion - was High Sheriff at the time of the Lincolnshire uprising in 1536. He also sat in parliament with Sir Robert Tyrwhitt.
The current and 34th Champion is Lieutenant-Colonel John Lindley Marmion Dymoke, MBE DL, Royal Lincolnshire Regiment. His eldest son and heir is Francis Dymoke, a chartered accountant and estate owner.
See other images of St Benedict's Church, Scrivelsby