NS6065 : The Facade

near to Glasgow, Great Britain

The Facade
The Facade
The Facade is located at the eastern end of the NS6065 : Bridge of Sighs; see that link for much more information about the bridge; the Facade is also visible in that photo.

The sun was not in my favour here; for some good close views of the structure, see NS6065 : Memorial to bridge builders, NS6065 : The Entrance Façade at the Necropolis Glasgow, and NS6065 : Glasgow: Necropolis bridge monument.

The Facade dates from a little later than the bridge itself. It was in the autumn of 1835 that the Merchants House of Glasgow contracted with John Park, of Anderston Walk, to built this feature. It was designed by John Bryce, and the stone came from a quarry in Kenmure.

There are vaults beneath the central arch and the wings of the Facade.

As well as being the entrance to these vaults, and serving as an impressive architectural feature on this approach to the Necropolis, the Facade acts as a retaining wall: a necessity after the road in front of it was widened to allow carriages to turn there.

It was originally intended that the excavation of the central vault be continued all the way through to the former quarry on the other side (NS6065 : Glasgow Necropolis: the former Ladywell Quarry); this would have been a huge undertaking, but it was never carried out. The idea had been motivated in part by the desire to create subterranean crypts that would be secure against "resurrectionists". However, an Act of Parliament (Anatomy Act 1832) had already made the trade in corpses unprofitable, and, although there was still some need for vigilance, the threat was greatly reduced.

The vaults are now used only for storage (of gardening equipment, and so forth, rather than of bodies). Compare NS6065 : The Egyptian Vaults.

The inscription beneath the central archway is reproduced at NS6065 : Glasgow: Necropolis bridge monument, and originally appeared on an obelisk, now long since removed, here at the eastern end of the bridge. The text of the inscription was read to the assembled crowd on the occasion when the foundation stone of the bridge was laid (see the next-cited link).

References: as given at the end of NS6065 : Bridge of Sighs.
Glasgow Necropolis
The Necropolis is 37 acres in extent, and was formally opened in 1833. Like the Père Lachaise in Paris, it was laid out as a garden cemetery. In 1966, its ownership was transferred from the Merchants House of Glasgow to what is now Glasgow City Council. See LinkExternal link for further information.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
· Find out how to reuse this image · For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia. ·
Discuss There is 1 post in a discussion
on NS6065
(preview on the left)
Modify Suggest an update to this image Email Contact the contributor
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS6065, 479 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Wednesday, 8 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 22 August, 2012
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Architect (from Tags)
John Bryce 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 6033 6547 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:51.7269N 4:13.9940W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 6030 6548
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 34 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register