SD4861 : Ashton Memorial - Arms of Williamson family

taken 6 years ago, near to Lancaster, Lancashire, Great Britain

Ashton Memorial - Arms of Williamson family
Ashton Memorial - Arms of Williamson family
One of three arched stained glass windows in the Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park Lancaster. They are all dated 1908. This one faces northwards and bears the arms of the Williamson family of Lord Ashton. The motto is "Murus aeneus conscientia sana" which translates as "A sound conscience is a wall of brass"
The windows facing east and west both bear the arms of Lancaster (see SD4861 : Ashton Memorial - Arms of Lancaster)
Information on the Williamson surname and this coat of arms here LinkExternal link
More information about Lord Ashton "The Lino King" here LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Ashton Memorial
The Ashton Memorial was built between 1907 and 1909 when it opened on the 24th October. The archicect was John Belcher who created this lavish folly in the Edwardian Baroque style, while the sculptures are by Herbert Hampton.
It was built for James Williamson, 1st Baron Ashton, a highly successful local businessman as a memorial to his second wife, Jess, who had died in 1904.
With his father (also called James) he had previously created Williamson Park (see separate description) in which the memorial stands upon a hill as an unmissable focal point. It cost over 80,000 to build, some 4.5m in equivalent (2012) terms.
It stands approximately 150' (45m) tall, but already elevated by the hill on which it sits, so that it can be seen for miles around Lancaster, and offers superb views of the surrounding countryside from its viewing galleries.
It is built of Portland Stone, the favoured stone of grand Victorian buildings to be found in all the great cities of the Victorian age and beyond (this memorial for example dating from Edward VII's reign). The green dome is copper which has naturally acquired the green protective coating of verdigris (a complex of copper carbonate, chloride and sometimes, acetate). The grand staircase leading up to the monument is made from hard-wearing Cornish granite.
The monument was damaged by fire in 1961 and continued to decline such that by 1981 it had to close to the public. Thankfully private donations and public grants meant that this dramatic building was restored, and it reopened in 1988. As well as being a visitor attraction in its own right, it now also houses exhibitions and can be hired for weddings and other functions.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD4861, 245 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 29 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 5 September, 2012
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe 
Place (from Tags)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 4889 6131 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:2.7127N 2:46.9223W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 4889 6132
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Stained Glass  Coat of Arms  Ashton Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 69 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register