NH3470 : Glascarnoch dam from the south

4 km from Lubfearn, Highland, Great Britain

Glascarnoch dam from the south
Glascarnoch dam from the south
The concrete gravity and earth-filled dam was completed in 1957.
Glascarnoch hydro scheme :: NH3172
Work started at the Glascarnoch site in 1953 and the dam was completed in 1957. There is no power station here but the loch collects water from Loch Droma to the W and via a tunnel from Loch Vaich to the N; the stored water is then transferred by tunnel southwards to the power station at Mossford near Grudie Bridge. More details are given in ‘The Dam Builders’ by James Miller (Birlinn, Edinburgh 2010).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jim Barton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NH3470, 45 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Tuesday, 18 September, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 23 September, 2012
Geographical Context
Energy infrastructure  Lakes, Wetland, Bog 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NH 3455 7068 [10m precision]
WGS84: 57:41.7244N 4:46.6545W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NH 3447 7048
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Hydroelectric Reservoir  Dam Wall 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 18 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register