This small rehabilitation hospital was constructed in the early 20th century as a tuberculosis sanatorium. (According to one website it opened in 1906.)
From the Nuneaton Tribune in 2012: "In later years, it cared for elderly people in two main wards but its beds were reduced from 41 to 20 and NHS Warwickshire decided in January 2011 to close it, despite a concerted campaign by ex-patients, councillors and MPs and a 3,000-name petition." This was despite the fact that extensions had been constructed in 2004 and one ward had been refurbished in 2009.
The site was put up for sale in summer 2012 through local commercial estate agents D&P Holt. Their sales particulars stated that was 3.49 acres in size (2.91 developable acres). The site was Freehold but "access must be maintained to the Severn Trent pumping station which lies just outside the north east corner of the site. The main access road and estate road to the south west corner of the site will need to be shared with Ashby House which is being retained by the NHS as a children’s special needs care home."
The modern NHS building called 'The Lodge' alongside the entrance driveway was also excluded from the sale.
Ashby House had been built in 2006 as a 7 bedroom adult respite care centre. It was designed by architects Design Buro and built by Manton Construction at a cost of £958,000. (Information from Manton Construction website.)
See other images of Bramcote Hospital