NZ2030 : St. Pauls on the Hill : Toronto

taken 11 years ago, near to Escomb, County Durham, Great Britain

St. Pauls on the Hill :  Toronto
St. Pauls on the Hill : Toronto
Former Church (now a private residence) (dated 1903). Toronto was named by WC Stobart (after the Canadian City) whose mining company built the village (1859) for the miners and their families. By 1894, Toronto Colliery was working four seams, with 500 men and boys employed. The colliery closed in the late 1920's, and reopened by the Bitchburn Fireclay Co.Ltd in 1937. At its peak in 1950, it employed 119 men. In 1967, it employed 70 men and 18 pit ponies, but closed soon after.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Hugh Mortimer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ2030, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 21 January, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 21 January, 2007
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 202 304 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:40.1343N 1:41.2992W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 203 304
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 139 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register