TF1442 : St John the Baptist church, Great Hale

near to Great Hale, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St John the Baptist church, Great Hale
St John the Baptist church, Great Hale
Grade I listed.
The tower is of late Saxon or Saxon-Norman date. The central newel of the spiral stairway and its associate trends are fashioned from one piece of stone. The stairway is unique, being built into the thickness of the wall with a little extra space provided by thickening the wall into the interior of the tower and by bulging its eastern face slightly.
The embattled parapet is of a Perpendicular style with eight coarsely crocketted pinnacles. Two pinnacles and a part of the parapet were dislodged during a severe gale on Sunday 24th March 1895. One of the pinnacles fell through the roof, restoration work was carried out, and the church reopened in 1896 by Bishop Edward King. The clock which was constructed to commemorate the Coronation of King George V was fixed in the tower and set going on January 25th 1912.
It is on record that "The Church of Hale was given to that of S Lazarus without the walls of Jerusalem by Simon de Gaunt and Alice his wife in the presence of King John who confirmed the gift in 1208".
In 1315 King Edward II granted a licence to Robert of Ashby, enabling him to maintain two messuages, one croft and thirty-six acres of meadow in Great Hale, Little Hale and Heckington for a Chaplain to celebrate divine service in the Church of Saint John the Baptist of Hale for the soul of the said Robert, the souls of Richard and his father, Aline his mother, Robert de Kymington and John Elys, Chaplain William de Tye and all faithful people. In 1337 a chapel (The Lady Chapel) was endowed by Hugh de Wheteley. This chapel was refurbished in 1922 and on the north wall there are several monuments of the Cawdron family.
The south aisle is of Early English style and the north aisle is of later character. The Octagonal font is 14th century.

(From Church Guide book)


See other images of St John the Baptist church, Great Hale
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF1442, 27 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 30 September, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 10 October, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St John the Baptist 
Place (from Tags)
Great Hale 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1484 4292 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:58.2807N 0:17.4810W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 1486 4290
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted