Grade I listed.
The tower is of late Saxon or Saxon-Norman date. The central newel of the spiral stairway and its associate trends are fashioned from one piece of stone. The stairway is unique, being built into the thickness of the wall with a little extra space provided by thickening the wall into the interior of the tower and by bulging its eastern face slightly.
The embattled parapet is of a Perpendicular style with eight coarsely crocketted pinnacles. Two pinnacles and a part of the parapet were dislodged during a severe gale on Sunday 24th March 1895. One of the pinnacles fell through the roof, restoration work was carried out, and the church reopened in 1896 by Bishop Edward King. The clock which was constructed to commemorate the Coronation of King George V was fixed in the tower and set going on January 25th 1912.
It is on record that "The Church of Hale was given to that of S Lazarus without the walls of Jerusalem by Simon de Gaunt and Alice his wife in the presence of King John who confirmed the gift in 1208".
In 1315 King Edward II granted a licence to Robert of Ashby, enabling him to maintain two messuages, one croft and thirty-six acres of meadow in Great Hale, Little Hale and Heckington for a Chaplain to celebrate divine service in the Church of Saint John the Baptist of Hale for the soul of the said Robert, the souls of Richard and his father, Aline his mother, Robert de Kymington and John Elys, Chaplain William de Tye and all faithful people. In 1337 a chapel (The Lady Chapel) was endowed by Hugh de Wheteley. This chapel was refurbished in 1922 and on the north wall there are several monuments of the Cawdron family.
The south aisle is of Early English style and the north aisle is of later character. The Octagonal font is 14th century.
(From Church Guide book)
See other images of St John the Baptist church, Great Hale