SK5704 : Pump House, textile mill Soar Navigation

near to Leicester, Great Britain

Pump House, textile mill Soar Navigation
Pump House, textile mill Soar Navigation
Grade II Listed with the main buildings thought to have been erected in 1794-1820. The Donisthorpe and Companyís mill site, also known as Friarís Mill is believed to have been a wool spinning mill, which by 1828 had developed into a larger U-shaped complex. The surviving engine house is thought to date to 1860-1880. The siteís power generation capacity was later enhanced by the construction of a replacement engine house to the south of the mill. From the mid 20th century the English textile industry was in decline and by the end of the century, the site had been closed with many of the smaller ancillary buildings having already been demolished. All of the remaining ancillary structures were demolished in 2009. The site was to be redeveloped as part of a £60 million waterside regeneration scheme. The project had not got under way and the owners had allowed it to become vandalised and occupied by squatters, then in July 2012 the main building was gutted by fire.
River Soar Navigation
24.1 miles (38.8km) long with 18 locks from just above Freeman's Meadow Lock in Leicester to the River Trent and Erewash Canal; the River Soar forms part of the Grand Union Canal Leicester Section. Thomas Skipworth was granted permission by Charles I to make the river navigable in 1634 but the scheme was never completed. The section between the River Trent and Loughborough was made navigable in 1778 by engineers John Smith and John May and extended by William Jessop to Leicester in 1794. The Grand Union Canal (not to be confused with the later canal route of the same name) connected it south to the southern canals network and to London in 1814. It was not until 1894 that the Grand Union and the Leicestershire & Northamptonshire Union Canals were purchased by the Grand Junction Canal Company that later formed the Grand Union Canal who purchased the Leicester and Loughborough Navigations in 1932 along with the Erewash Canal.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1993
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK5704, 67 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Tuesday, 17 August, 1993   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 13 October, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Rivers, Streams, Drainage  Derelict, Disused  Industry  Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 579 046 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:38.1711N 1:8.6758W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 579 046
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register