SU3224 : Crossroads in Awbridge

taken 11 years ago, near to Kent's Oak, Hampshire, Great Britain

Crossroads in Awbridge
Crossroads in Awbridge
One of the earliest references to Awbridge (pronounced "Aybridge"), can be found in the Domesday Book. In the first draft completed in 1086, Awbridge was listed as "Abedric". By 1207 the name had changed to "Abberugge", "Abbederugge" in 1218 and "Abbederigge" by 1238. This transition reflected the Norman influence on the original Celtic name. Much later in 1849 the name was spelt "Awebridge", as can still be seen on the inscription within the northerly wall of the original chapel near Stanbridge Earls.

Originally, land in the vicinity of the hamlet of Awbridge, belonged to St Peter's Abbey, Winchester. Awbridge lies on a ridge as viewed from Michelmersh, so it is thought that its original name was "Abbodhrycg" meaning the "Ridge of the Abbot".
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Patrick Pavey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU3224, 16 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 25 January, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 28 January, 2007
Category
Crossroads   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 320 241 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:0.9721N 1:32.6943W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 320 241
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SU3224) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 84 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register