SJ7721 : Filled-in canal to Norbury Junction

near to Sutton, Staffordshire, Great Britain

Filled-in canal to Norbury Junction
Filled-in canal to Norbury Junction
Taken from the bridge over the now filled-in Shrewsbury and Newport branch of the Shropshire Union canal. This ran from Norbury Junction, through Newport, and connected with pre-existing canals that ran to Shrewsbury and to the coalfields of the area where much of Telford now lies. It opened in 1835, and closed in the 1940s when rail competition won out. The fact that the canal by then was owned by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway company may have been a factor in this.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Law and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ7721, 19 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 18 November, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 20 November, 2012
Geographical Context
Farm, Fishery, Market Gardening  Grassland  Derelict, Disused  Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7744 2177 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:47.5812N 2:20.1598W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 7737 2177
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

This page has been viewed about 24 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
donations welcome!