TR0624 : Brass to Thomas Lamberd, St Nicholas' church, New Romney

near to New Romney, Kent, Great Britain

Brass to Thomas Lamberd, St Nicholas' church, New Romney
Brass to Thomas Lamberd, St Nicholas' church, New Romney
Thomas Lamberd Baron and Jurat of New Romney died 1510.

Thomas was a figure of some importance and a well-known merchant coming from a respected family of Kent.
He attended the brotherhood and Guestling as Jurat from Romney from 1506 to 1509, being elected as Bailiff to represent both Romney and Dover at the Yarmouth Annual Herring fair in 1506.
St Nicholas Church, New Romney
Grade I listed
The church dates from about 1095, and was originally on the edge of a large harbour. It is said that ships tied up to the wall of the churchyard. The Norman church consisted of tower, nave with clerestory windows, aisles with low pitched roofs, and a small chancel. Masons were bought over from Normandy and it was probably completed by 1100.
The interior of the church is large, with north and south aisles, and a nave with Norman piers alternating between round and octagonal.
The tower was originally only of 3 tiers, built a little later than the nave, 2 further tiers were built in about 1200. There are 8 bells and the remains of a broach spire which was removed in 18th C. Some of the corbels have carved faces.
In the 12th C. New Romney was an important port - a Cinque Port, but in 1287 a terrible storm hit the south coast and silted up the harbour completely. New Romney became landlocked a mile from the sea. The river Rother, which flowed into the sea at New Romney, changed its course and now entered at Rye. Hastings and Winchelsea were also effected by the storm. The floor of the church is now several feet below present ground level.
In 13th & 14th Centuries the church was enlarged with the present high chancel and side chapels, the north Lady Chapel, and south St Stephen's chapel. The aisles were widened and raised. The Lady chapel has several table tombs, one with a brass to Thomas and Mary Smythe of 1610.There is also a recessed arch tomb from 14th C. of which little is known. St Stephens chapel has an altar tomb to Richard Stuppeny, d. 1499.
A planned "restoration" in 1880 was stopped by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2012
· Find out how to reuse this image · For example on your webpage, blog, a forum, or Wikipedia. ·
Discuss There are 4 posts in a discussion
on TR0624
(preview on the left)
Modify Suggest an update to this image Email Contact the contributor
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TR0624, 152 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Saturday, 1 December, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 1 December, 2012
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Nicholas 
Place (from Tags)
New Romney 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0653 2474 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:59.1003N 0:56.4694E
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TR 0653 2474
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Church Brass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 12 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register