TL7604 : Danbury Palace

taken 11 years ago, near to Danbury, Essex, Great Britain

Danbury Palace
Danbury Palace
Mr John Round bought Danbury Park and “The Place” as it was then called in 1826. The Architect Thomas Hopper built the new Danbury Place a couple of hundred feet from the old building. His wife had a fear of dying in a fire so a stone staircase was built into the centre of the house. However she did die in a fire but not in Danbury Place. Her grave stone in Danbury Churchyards reads:-
"Sacred to the Memory of Susan Constantin Round, beloved wife of John Round Esq., of Danbury Park who perished in the awful conflagration at Raggetts Hotel, Dover Street, London on the morning of 27th May 1843 in the 36th year of her age. Sincerely and affectionately regretted".
In 1845 John Round sold the house to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as a home for the Bishop of Rochester when it became known as Danbury Palace. A few years later a Chapel was built to the rear.
In 1892 the Palace was sold to Seth Taylor of Putney who sold it on in 1899 to Hugh Hoare. He cut down lots of Oak Trees and in 1903 sold it to the Hon Alwyn Greville.
In 1919 it was bought by General Wigan.
During the Second World War it was used as a Maternity Hospital and in 1945 the late Queen Mother visited to present a layette to the 2,000th baby to be born there.
The Wigans left in 1946. Essex County Council took over and it was used as a Civil Defence Training Centre.
In 1969 Mid Essex Technical College took over and added a modern extension for training purposes.
In 1989 Danbury Park Conference Centre was formed and it was opened for Weddings Receptions etc. Many Danbury functions were held there.
More recently it was renamed and run by Anglian University but they now have a purpose built accommodation in the centre of Chelmsford - making Danbury Palace redundant.
Anglia University has obtained Planning Permission and in late 2006 the Danbury Palace site was put on the open market for sale.
This Planning Permission involves dividing the Grade II listed building into 10 apartments and using the remaining buildings to create a combination of apartments and maisonettes. Approval to this scheme was given in May 2006.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Malcolm Reid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL7604, 27 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 February, 2007
Category
Palace > Palace   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 766 049 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:42.9330N 0:33.3434E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 766 049
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for TL7604)
This page has been viewed about 1967 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register