SE3651 : Spofforth Castle

near to Spofforth, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Spofforth Castle
Spofforth Castle
In south west corner of the Square, Looking North.
The ruins of a hall range are all that remain from a fortified house. The site had been the home of the Percy family since Norman times and in 1308, Henry de Percy obtained a licence to crenellate. However the next year he purchased the barony of Alnwick, and it was at Alnwick (Northumberland) that he built a magnificent castle that became the new home of the Percys. The oldest visible part of the property is the 13th century undercroft to the hall, which is built against a rocky outcrop. There is a 14th century two-storey chamber to the north of the hall that has a polygonal stair turret on the north-west corner. The main hall was rebuilt in the 15th century.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Allison and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE3651, 69 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for SE3651)
Submitted
Tuesday, 15 March, 2005
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 360 511 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.2899N 1:27.1095W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 360 510
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 374 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved