SN1644 : Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel, Llandudoch/St Dogmaels

taken 11 years ago, near to St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire/Sir Benfro, Great Britain

Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel, Llandudoch/St Dogmaels
Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel, Llandudoch/St Dogmaels
This austerely impressive chapel, with its huge graveyard and its alley of cypresses leading to the main entrance, stands on high ground a kilometre or so to the south of the village.
Baptists started preaching here in 1706 at a house called Rhosgerdd. In 1745 the first Blaenwaun chapel was built on the same site. A new chapel was built in 1795-6. There were then 237 members drawn from 14 parishes. It was rebuilt again in its present form in 1885-6 and by 1899 it had 579 members. Judging by the graves its congregation remains large today and comes from many miles around.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright ceridwen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SN1644, 31 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 3 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 4 February, 2007
Category
Chapel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 161 448 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:4.2733N 4:41.0771W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 161 446
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SN1644) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 552 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register