NS3975 : Dumbarton West Kirk: the MacAuslan Memorial

taken 4 years ago, near to Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Dumbarton West Kirk: the MacAuslan Memorial
Dumbarton West Kirk: the MacAuslan Memorial
"Erected to the memory of John MacAuslan, timber merchant, Dumbarton, born 4th April 1804, died 17th February 1875, etc. .... Mark the perfect man and behold the upright, for the end of that man is peace Psalm XXXVII 37".

Also named are Janet Leitch (his mother), several children, Margaret Ure (his wife), and a later descendant.

The memorial is one of the very few that remain of those originally associated with NS3975 : Dumbarton West Kirk. For context, see NS3975 : Dumbarton West Kirk: church halls; this memorial stands beside the building that is at the far left in that picture. It is only a few feet from NS3975 : War Memorial from Dalreoch Church (as a comparison of the background of that and the present picture makes clear).

The MacAuslan Memorial was sculpted by Mr Young (NS4076 : Memorial to William Young: detail). John MacAuslan, first-named in the inscription, was the son of James MacAuslan, farmer at Hawthornhill (that farm is long gone, but it was located in the area shown in NS3775 : Path to Dalmoak, to the right of the far end of the hedge-lined path).

John was apprenticed to Daniel Taylor in 1821. In 1834, he began business as a joiner and timber merchant. For a short time, he was also a shipbuilder; his premises were near here (this area is called West Bridgend). After Dumbarton's Glass Works had closed (see NS3975 : The Artizan Bridge), he bought that site, and went on to build Woodside Crescent and Woodside Saw Mills there. He married Margaret, daughter of the ironfounder John Ure, in 1843. They had fourteen of a family. John MacAuslan was a councillor for many years, and he also served as Dean of Guild.

[Biographical details summarised from Donald MacLeod's "The God's Acres of Dumbarton" (1888).]
Dumbarton West Kirk
The present church building opened in 1888, and is the work of Dumbarton's town architect, John McLeod. It replaces William Spence's 1860 church building, which stands immediately to the south of the present church, and which now serves as church halls. The 1860 building, in turn, replaced the original Relief Church at West Bridgend, which was built in 1794, and which stood in the same area. The associated burial ground, now cleared away, also dated from 1794.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3975, 435 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Supplemental image
Date Taken
Monday, 14 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 24 January, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3903 7548 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.7191N 4:34.7499W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3902 7549
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 252 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register