SJ5396 : The Blackbrook Basin Terminus of the Sankey Canal

taken 11 years ago, near to Haydock, St Helens, Great Britain

The Blackbrook Basin Terminus of the Sankey Canal
The Blackbrook Basin Terminus of the Sankey Canal
The Sankey Brook Navigation, commonly known as the Sankey Canal, was built between 1755 and 1757, making this the 250th Anniversary year of its opening.
The northern reaches of the canal were formally abandoned in 1931. This site, now the start of the Sankey Valley Linear Park, following the line of the canal to Widnes, would have been a hive of activity in the 18th & 19th Centuries. Coal was loaded here into Mersey flats to go to Liverpool, North Wales, Ireland, and the Lancashire coast, while copper ore was imported from Parys Mountain on Anglesey to a copper works nearby.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Long and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ5396, 63 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 February, 2007
Category
Canal basin   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 532 968 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.0000N 2:42.3048W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 532 971
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 242 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register