SJ5396 : Looking down the Old Double Locks

taken 11 years ago, near to Haydock, St Helens, Great Britain

Looking down the Old Double Locks
Looking down the Old Double Locks
These locks were the first double locks to be constructed in England. The Sankey Brook Navigation was opened in 1757. The canal forks above this point, with one branch going to the Blackbrook Basin terminus, and the other to the Gerards Bridge terminus. When the railways were built in the area, wherever they crossed the canal they had to accommodate the masts of the sailing flats which used the canal. Here, beyond the pipe, may be seen the foundations of a railway swing bridge, built to allow the boats to pass unhindered. The locks were "restored" in about 1974 by forming the cascade through the chambers, and collapsing part of the walls.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Long and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ5396, 63 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 February, 2007
Category
Lock   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 537 960 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.5599N 2:41.9270W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 534 960
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for SJ5396)
This page has been viewed about 126 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register