SJ5296 : Gerards Bridge Branch of the Sankey Canal

taken 11 years ago, near to Moss Bank, St Helens, Great Britain

Gerards Bridge Branch of the Sankey Canal
Gerards Bridge Branch of the Sankey Canal
Part of the original line of the 1757 Sankey Brook Navigation, fed by the Rainford Brook. The derelict cottage on the right is the last of the cottages built for keepers at the locks and swing bridges along the canal. The wooden swing bridge which stood here was replaced with a fixed stone bridge in about 1934, following Abandonment of the canal here in 1931. The mound on the right is the "Burgey Banks" - waste sand used for polishing glass in the nearby Pilkington Glass Works.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Long and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ5296, 15 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 February, 2007
Category
Canal (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 520 963 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.6753N 2:43.3838W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 522 963
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 141 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register