SJ5195 : Terminus of the Sankey Canal

taken 11 years ago, near to St Helens, Great Britain

Terminus of the Sankey Canal
Terminus of the Sankey Canal
The 1775 extension to England's first modern canal (opened 1757) originally continued well beyond this point. Expansion of the Pilkington Glass Works to the west brought about closure and infilling from 1898. A TESCO supermarket and the St. Helens Hilton now stand on the site of glassworks which have now closed.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Long and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ5195, 114 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 10 February, 2007
Category
Canal (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 510 951 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.0280N 2:44.2944W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 512 950
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 113 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register