SU7900 : The Parish Church of St Nicholas, West Itchenor

taken 10 years ago, near to West Itchenor, West Sussex, Great Britain

The Parish Church of St Nicholas, West Itchenor
The Parish Church of St Nicholas, West Itchenor
There was no mention in the Domesday Book of a church at Itchenor but there was probably a small one of timber or stone before the present church was erected. In 1180 Bishop Seffrid II allowed the chapel built by Hugh Esturmy (lord of the manor) in 1175, to be converted into a parish church with its own graveyard.
The church of St Nicholas, the patron saint of children and of seafarers, is a rectangular building 50 feet long and 16 feet 6 inches wide with no structural division between the nave and the chancel. Changs in the window arrangement to give extra light were made in the late 14th century and there have been alterations and additions in the 19th century and more recently.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Maigheach-gheal and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU7900, 153 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 24 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 28 February, 2007
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 799 006 [100m precision]
WGS84: 50:47.9998N 0:52.0209W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 799 006
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Second Visitor for SU7900)
This page has been viewed about 49 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register