NZ1967 : The Orion

taken 16 years ago, 3 km from Woolsington, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Great Britain

The Orion
The Orion
A small cinema was built in Westerhope on Stamfordham Road which opened as the Picture Palace in 1912. It was financed by Samuel R. Piper,a miner who had originally come from Cornwall and who had worked at the nearby North Walbottle Colliery. The basic hall had a tiny balcony seating 16 with a total capacity of 450. It was designed by H.F. Burrows of Lemington. When it was taken over in 1932 by Percy Longhorn, sound was introduced for the first time. When snow storms were very bad in 1941 and the village was cut off, films were brought out from the city by sledge. It was in the 1940s that the present name, 'Orion' was chosen. It was very much a family business and even closed for two weeks every year when the Longhorns went on holiday. It closed as a cinema in 1970 but still remains as a bingo club.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright sue hayton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1967, 33 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 11 August, 2002   (more nearby)
Saturday, 10 March, 2007
Bingo hall   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 195 673 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:0.0315N 1:41.7833W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 194 673
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 208 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register