NS3274 : Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall

taken 10 years ago, near to Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall
Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall
One of a pair of wooden carvings, this one depicts the ship from Port Glasgow's coat of arms.

An adjacent plaque reads "These carvings were designed and crafted in 1936 by the head of Glasgow School of Sculpture, Archibald Dawson, as part of a church improvement scheme which was funded by the members of Newark Parish Church and Sir James Lithgow."

"These carvings were presented to Inverclyde District Council by the church elders on the dissolution of Newark Parish Church in 1988".

See the other carving here NS3274 : Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall.
See Newark Parish Church here NS3174 : Newark Church Building.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3274, 1340 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 28 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 11 March, 2007
Category
Carving   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 320 745 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.0470N 4:41.4593W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 320 745
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 157 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register