NS3274 : Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall

taken 10 years ago, near to Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall
Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall
One of a pair of wooden carvings, this one depicts the Comet steam ship which was built in Port Glasgow in 1812.

An adjacent plaque reads "These carvings were designed and crafted in 1936 by the head of Glasgow School of Sculpture, Archibald Dawson, as part of a church improvement scheme which was funded by the members of Newark Parish Church and Sir James Lithgow."

"These carvings were presented to Inverclyde District Council by the church elders on the dissolution of Newark Parish Church in 1988".

See the other carving here NS3274 : Wooden carving in Port Glasgow town hall.
See Newark Parish Church here NS3174 : Newark Church Building.
See the full sized Comet replica here NS3174 : The Comet
PS Comet Replica in Port Glasgow :: NS3174
The replica was built by local shipyard apprentices in 1961/2 to mark the 150th anniversary of the launch of the original PS Comet on 24th July 1812. On 2nd September 1962, she sailed under steam from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh (home of Henry Bell, owner of the original PS Comet) with a dozen local dignitaries on board.

On her return from Helensburgh she was removed from the water and kept in storage in a local shipyard. When the A8 road was realigned in the mid 1970s, the replica was placed in an ornamental pond in a car park opposite Port Glasgow Town hall.

The road was realigned again in 2007 and a new plinth was provided close to the original location. In 2010, she was removed to Ferguson's shipyard in the town for much needed remedial work and she was returned to her present location in pristine condition on 5th June 2011. Unfortunately it was not feasible to restore the engine as it would have entailed complete dismantling of the ship.

Comet was the first commercially successful steam ship in Europe. She was built by John Wood of Port Glasgow for Henry bell of Helensburgh and she plied her trade on the River Clyde between Greenock and Glasgow, occasionally venturing out via the Crinan Canal to Oban. Comet was wrecked at Craignish Point, near Oban, on 13 December 1820. One of her engines (by John Robertson of Neilston LinkExternal link ) can be seen in the Science Museum in London.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3274, 1340 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 28 February, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 11 March, 2007
Category
Carving   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 320 745 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.0470N 4:41.4593W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 320 745
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 194 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register